Monday, October 18, 2010

Aim High

If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there", and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. -Matthew 17:20

The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. -Michelangelo

Michelangelo lived a few days shy of eighty-nine years, still sculpting, painting, writing, and designing. When I see the size, the majesty, the spirit of his statue of David it is a work of hope. When he was asked how he could create such a masterpiece, he replied that David was already in the marble, he simply had to chip away the excess to allow him to escape. I believe sculptors are that way. They are people of hope who aim high.

We have read or heard quoted this passage of scripture where Jesus talks about mustard seed faith and wonder-how can such faith be possible. I believe the point of Jesus, like Michelangelo, was to aim high-see the possibility in the mountain before us and with God's help release the hope within it.

I see people do this who face incredible odds. We have witnessed the people working in the Chilean mountains as they tried to release the miners, exhibit this kind of hope. A pessimist might look at the challenge and throw up their hands in despair. Others looked at the mountain and saw in it the possibility for the miners to be released from it. And they were.

Okay, perhaps you are facing a mountain of challenge today. Aim high. Try to vision the hope in the midst of it that is trying to be released. The mountain may not move, but I'll bet something can be released from it that will free you from the despair that otherwise might entrap you.

Prayer
Gracious God, help me to look at the challenges of this day with faith sufficient to work with you lest I fail to see the hope that may be waiting to be released. Help me to remember that in my own life you are the potter and I am the clay. Mold me this day after your will in the name of Christ. Amen.

Mac Hamon, Senior Pastor
Castleton United Methodist Church
Indianapolis, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment