Monday, June 28, 2010

Don't Make Comparisons

A parishioner exited the sanctuary several years ago after a sermon that obviously resonated with them and asked, "Now how will you top that one?" One of the great dangers for appreciation of the moment is comparison. We could make it difficult to enjoy a present vacation, for example, because we may be constantly measuring it against another one. We could make it difficult to enjoy what may be good about our present job because we are comparing it to another. Or, it may be difficult for us to enjoy our present church because we are comparing it to another. Well, I could go on and you probably will, but you get my point.

I believe that is exactly why Jesus didn't want Peter, James, and John to build a booth to commemorate their experience when Jesus was transfigured (Mark 9:2ff). Jesus didn't want them to measure all future events against this one.

I would imagine that if you are struggling today one of the reasons may be that you are comparing this day to another or what you may now be doing to something else you'd rather be doing. Try looking at this day or what you are doing without making a comparison. So this day may not be as lovely as last Friday, but you are alive and able to enjoy what may be good about it. What you may now be doing may not be as glamorous or enjoyable as what you were doing on Tuesday, but you are able to perform the task.

Try some of the following:

- Use your own personal index for evaluating yourself and your performance. "Am I content with myself?" Rather than I'm not as good as my colleague.
- When you find yourself in the old habit of comparison stop right in the moment and catch yourself. Rather than condemning yourself for performing different than someone else rephrase, this is how I perform and I'm fine with it.
- Try to enjoy the unique gifts of each of your children rather than comparing them.
- In the midst of a task you may not enjoy compared to another one you do, try to remind yourself that at least you can do this task.

Prayer
I give thanks Lord for this day-that I am able to experience it-good and bad. Grant me the self-esteem I need to avoid comparing it to any other day lest I miss what joy I may discover today. Amen.


Mac Hamon, Senior Pastor
Castleton United Methodist Church
Indianapolis, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment